State Veterans Home - Hilo
1180 Waianuenue Ave
Hilo, HI 96720
- The term Resident is used synonymously with the term sponsor/guardian when
the resident is deemed incapable of making rational decisions. Such sponsor/guardian shall
be legally appointed and documentation of proof must be provided to the Homes at the time
- The Resident shall consent to abide by all rules and/or regulations governing the Home
and to follow the course of treatment prescribed by the Home's medical staff or
outside medical consultant(s) before admission to the Home.
- The Home shall charge the residents for comprehensive care. Every resident shall be responsible for the full payment of the comprehensive care rate payable one month in advance, and not later than the 5th day of each month thereafter.
- Residents shall pay costs of transportation to and from the Home for whatever reasons, unless provided by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Residents shall furnish their own items of personal clothing.
- Residents shall accept transfer to other medical facilities, including those operated by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and/or the contractor providing services to the State of Hawaii, if medical condition mandates, as determined by the Homes Medical Staff/Director.
- Residents shall accept discharge from the Homes when medical and/or administrative review determines such action to be appropriate or warranted.
- Residents shall recognize that the Home will be operated in full compliance with the Civil Rights Act without discrimination as to race, color, creed, religion or gender.
- Residents may apply for all U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs benefits for which he/she may be entitled. He/she may be counseled about benefit entitlements by a representative of the Department of Veterans Affairs, However, this will normally this will be a Veterans Service Counselor from the State of Hawaii Office of Veterans’ Services.
- Residents shall also bring with them any orthopedic appliances, braces, wheelchairs, walkers, etc., which may have been issued to them by the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Residents may be authorized a leave of absence, not to exceed 96 hours. Comprehensive care rate shall be charged for all periods of leave from the Home after 96 hours retroactive to the first day of leave.
- Residents shall be charged full comprehensive care rate when out of the facility, including hospitalization in excess of 96 hours. The comprehensive care rate will be retroactive to the first day of absence from the facility. Any resident admitted to a VA Medical Center and receiving federal VA per diem for the hospital stay shall not receive federal VA per diem for nursing home care concurrently. The comprehensive care rate shall be charged for the days admitted to a VA Medical Center.
- Failure to pay for comprehensive care will result in discharge from the Homes. The Contractor is authorized to use all applicable laws to recoup monies due the Homes for comprehensive care.
- The Resident shall designate a beneficiary to receive all personal belongings.